Communicating in Today’s Global Business World
This is the time of email and the internet. Businesspersons communicate via Facebook, Twitter, etc. with internal and external parties. They have become easy access to communicate all over the world. Social network allows them to communicate with external and internal parties. Every time phoning or writing a mobile message is so expensive. So, their mottos, desire, objectives, etc. have been redefined by digital media. From digital media, they make advertisements, marketing, research their product, know their scope, etc. Why they use digital media, there are basic reasons:
- Share information: As a manager, you have to share general or particular information with an audience-specific audience. You will share notices and information by using digital media.
- Communicating goals and objectives: An organization is formed by keeping some sort of goal and intention. Strategies, goals, and objectives should be informed for outer or external parties. For example, you can post such goals on Facebook pages.
- Issue order and instruction: As a senior person, you should order products inside and outside of your nation. Sometimes, you have to give instructions to your employees.
- Counsel: People get mental tension while working day in and day out in factories. To alleviate (reduce) their tension, managers should hire doctors, psychologists, and c counselors. You can make audio and videos related to counseling and keep them on youtube, Facebook, My Space, etc.
- Advice: Employers should give advice for employees in many situations. They always want the best opinion and advice from seniors. To provide advice, you can use Facebook or Skype.
- Motivate employees: To foster business, you should also motivate your employees. To motivate them, you can make motivational videos or audios and can put them on YouTube or can show them calling at a specific time.
- Educate and import training: You should provide your employee with both theoretical and practical training. Many pieces of training should be given as an orientation, lecture, or case study. Such instructive training videos can be posted on digital media.
Understanding the Unique Challenges of Business Communication: Globalization
The global business environment is an opportunity and challenge. The world is becoming smaller. Companies that sell their products in other countries face considerable communication challenges. Digital marketing makes it possible to offer products throughout the world. In the globalization of business, there appears workforce diversity in terms of age, gender, market; education, religion, ability, etc.
International manager face communication challenges in global marketing. As a Nepalese Manager, you are not lucky because English is not your official language of business. So, to communicate in global marketing you need to use a second language. While using other languages, you may not able to express yourself fully. Similarly, cultural differences can also influence how language is used to communicate. Each marketing is different because of different geography, culture, and habit. When we write a message in the pamphlet, we should use formal and courteous writing.
Abroad marketing helps the manager to know the following:
- Competitive insight: The more a manager knows his competitor, the more he better adjust the product.
- Customer needs: He knows customers’ needs and produce the product to meet their interest.
- Regulation and guidelines: In such conditions, he will know the rule and regulations of international marketing and also get guidelines.
Communicating as a Professional
Speaking as a person doesn’t need professionalism but in business communication, professionalism matters much. While communicating, you (manager) need to maintain your tone and choose strong and sweet words. Words should be put in grammatically well form sentences. Professionalism can achieve with practice and long-run experiences. Professionalism also covers etiquette, encouragement made for teamwork, ethical behaviour and positive outlook.
Understanding what employees expect from you
if you are working as an employee, you should understand what your boss expects from you. especially, an employer hopes from staff following:
- Concrete information.
- a knowledge of efficient search engines (google).
- express ideas coherently.
- persuasive language
- listens to much
- use of standard grammar.
- communicate in a civilized way.
- be far from negative conduct
- be thoughtful for the company’s benefit.
Communicating in an Organization Context
To communicate in an organizational context, you should have proper skills. Context is always goal-oriented and the way of speaking should be formal. Communication in business happens to give information. There are three directions:
- Downward directions: Downward communication happens from employer to
employee. He conveys the message of the executive body’s discussion and information.
- Upward direction: Upward communication is related to staff to the executive body. They share their problem, complain, etc.
- Horizontal directions: Horizontal communication happens from department to employee. There happen two ways of communication. Such communication happens to deal with complex situations, solve problems faster and coordinate tasks, etc.
Adopting an Audience-Centered Approach
To run the business, you should win the heart of the audience. As we often hear “customer is god”. So, to persuade the audience, you should adopt ‘You Attitude’. While persuading them, you need to use an indirect approach (at first you present the reason, then the main point). While coping with audience problems, you should grasp their age, status, interest, emotional stage, professional, etc. While addressing audience objections, you should maintain your tone, logic, and ideas. You should also balance your heart and mind, emotion and logic. The audience wants you to be polite, gentle, and courteous. So, if you don’t maintain etiquette, your rude manner harms the organization’s reputation and goodwill.